More About Us
- Our Elders
- Our Evangelist
- » Our History
- Work We Support
- Bible Classes
- What We Believe
- The Gospel Plan of Salvation
In 1963, several brethren from the Westvue congregation gathered to discuss the possibility of beginning a new congregation near what was then Middle Tennessee State College. Efforts to acquire suitable property resulted in the purchase of land and a house at 1412 East Main Street. A meeting was held at Westvue on September 27, 1964 of those seriously interested in being a part of this new work. Twenty-three individuals were identified as being interested. The new congregation would be called: "The University Heights church of Christ." The fact that the college was changing its name to Middle Tennessee State University was already known.
The first Lord's Day service of the University Heights church was on October 4, 1964 with 34 present that morning and 37 that evening. The first men called upon to preach at University Heights were David Arnold, Paul Hutcheson, Harris Dark, and Dave Bradford.
The house on the property was used as a meeting place for a number of years, and with modification, could accomodate 100 people. The location allowed for easy access to college students with many attending.
By the late 60's plans were made to construct a new building on the property. The University Heights church would occupy the new building until the late 90's when church growth and overcrowded conditions would force the church to move to a new and larger facility. The building at 1412 East Main was sold and today houses the M.T.S.U. Police Department.
Land was purchased across I-24 on Cason Lane in a fast-developing area of Murfreesboro. A new auditorium was finished in 2000 with plans to add a permanent classroom facility as soon as funds were available to do so. At the end of 2008 the main building was paid-off and the much needed classroom addition begun. Work was completed on the classroom facility in 2009.
The future looks very bright at Cason Lane.
1110 Cason Lane
Murfreesboro, TN 37128
Sunday: 10am & 5pm